If you have unexplained weight gain, depression, hair loss, or low body temperature, you might be suffering from a thyroid problem. Imbalances in this area can wreak havoc on the body and jeopardize your entire well-being. At Darien Integrative Medicine in Darien, Connecticut, patients with thyroid or other hormonal problems can find solutions that utilize the power of both traditional and alternative medicine under the care of Dr. Michael E. Doyle.
Hypothyroidism Q & A
What causes hypothyroidism?
The most common problem related to the thyroid is hypothyroidism. It’s a complex condition that can be triggered when one or many of your essential hormones are imbalanced. Thyroid hormones regulate numerous vital body functions, including your heart rate, body temperature, and metabolism.
Many conditions can cause hypothyroidism, including:
- Autoimmune diseases: In certain autoimmune conditions, like Hashimoto’s thyroiditis and atrophic thyroiditis, the body attacks thyroid gland cells, causing a drop in thyroid hormone.
- Radiation: Radioactive iodine can compromise thyroid function in those who received treatment with it.
- Thyroid removal: People who have had part or all of their thyroid gland removed can experience hypothyroidism.
- Medications: Certain medications, like lithium, interferon alpha, or amiodarone, can cause thyroid problems in people who may already be susceptible to them.
Pituitary disorders, iodine deficiency, and pregnancy can also trigger hypothyroidism. It may also be a condition that’s present at birth.
What are the symptoms of hypothyroidism?
The symptoms of hypothyroidism are widespread and extremely varied. They may include:
- Fatigue or lethargy
- Low body temperature
- Unexplained or diet- and exercise-resistant weight gain
- Hair loss
- Dry skin
- Puffy face
- Muscle aches or weakness
- Slowed heart rate
- Poor memory
Hypothyroidism might also cause high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and early heart disease. This condition is common, but it can be dangerous to your long-term health without treatment.
How is hypothyroidism treated?
Proper treatment of hormonal conditions like hypothyroidism requires restoring and maintaining a healthy balance of both thyroid and adrenal hormones. Dr. Doyle treats these shortages by using bioidentical thyroid and cortisol hormones to replace your missing hormones.
He might also recommend specific dietary changes or lifestyle adjustments that will help your body better achieve hormonal balance.
Dr. Doyle’s expertise makes him one of the best integrative medicine specialists qualified to resolve these types of complex ― yet very treatable ― hormonal conditions.
Use the easy online scheduler to make an appointment with Dr. Doyle today.